1. Whoa, baby! How ’bout that Tuesday we had here in Chicago, huh? I had spin at 6 a.m., which meant I had put my phone away before news of Chicago breaking in just about every capacity had hit Twitter, but my oh my did I have all sorts of news to catch up on on my (exceptionally delayed) commute. To recap, for those of you not from around here:
– A plane (a small one, but a plane nevertheless) crashed into a house by Midway
– A bus caught fire and subsequently shut down Lake Shore Drive, which is, you know, only the primary road people use to travel from the north side to downtown during rush hour.
– An old school, currently under renovations to turn the structure into condos, also caught fire. This school, by the way, backed up to the El tracks — and not just any El tracks. Oh no. This school backed up to and caused the closure of the Brown/Purple Line tracks: two of the three train lines people use to get from the north side to downtown during rush hour.
I’m normally all for hating on the CTA, but man, I felt way too bad for them to complain at all, even when I ended up having to walk a mile after spin to get to on a train. That’s a lot of bum luck for one morning, especially a morning when the wind chill is -12. Oh, did I mention that? Yeah. Wind chill was -12 through all of this.
2. Is there a trick to keeping water bottles from growing mold? I finally had to toss the one I’ve been using for the past year because even with regular washing the mold situation was OUT. OF. CONTROL. and it grossed me out. I’ve become a bit of an accidental water bottle hoarder (they seem to be a popular swag bag item as of late), so I had a large stash to choose from for my next water bottle, and I’ve got to say, this Hydro Flask monstrosity is becoming my new best friend.
I’m a princess when it comes to water bottles and demand insulation, but I was genuinely surprised by just how effectively this water bottle keeps my water cold. Though I imagine commuting in this weather has helped out the cause a bit 😛
3. Shoutout to BuzzFeed for alerting me that S Club 7 reunited last week.
They…may not quite be at the same level I remember when I was like 10. Haha. BUT STILL. I loved S Club 7 in elementary school. Miami 7 was one of my favorite shows.
Any commuting horror stories, from Tuesday or otherwise?
If you have tips on how to keep a water bottle from turning into a petri dish, I’m all ears.