1. The elevators in my building have always, at best, made me nervous. One in particular randomly stops working at least once a month and occasionally makes terrifying “things are falling” sounds around the second or first floor, and, according to the documents inside, the city of Chicago hasn’t inspected the elevators since November 2012. So that’s encouraging.
The particularly difficult elevator recently started to have trouble with alignment, by which I mean when the door would open, the floor of the elevator would either be two inches above or below the actual floor. Much stumbling and tripping ensued.
Now, you’d think the best solution to this problem would be to, you know, solve the problem. Call service, have them fix the issue, voila. Right? Well, unfortunately my building is owned by quite possibly the most inept management group in Chicago, so instead of finding a real solution, this is what they did:
Right. Of course. Thank you for all your help.
2. Apparently the Fourth of July is tomorrow? I mean, obviously the Fourth of July is tomorrow, since the third of July is today, but I feel like the Fourth totally snuck up on me this year. I have basically no plans whatsoever for the holiday, which is a little out of character for me, but I’m trying to limit my spending for the sake of affording PT, so no party hosting for me this year. Sigh. Being a grownup is the absolute worst. My roommate and I did talk about having hot dogs for dinner and going to see fireworks, so at least I’ll hit the major essentials for the day 😉
3. And now: the REAL reason you clicked on this post!
The Taste of Chicago kicks off next week on Wednesday, July 9 and runs through Sunday, July 13. Taste is pretty stellar, in my opinion, with free admission and a ton of free concerts by popular artists throughout the event (this year’s lineup includes Janelle Monáe, Aloe Blacc, and Nickel Creek [remember when I saw them earlier this year at the Riv?], among others). The one thing that’s not free, though is the actual food. One strip of 12 tickets will run you $8.50. Unless…!
For the past seven years, Humana Healthier Choices has made it easy to enjoy the Taste of Chicago while eating well. This year, the Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide lists 52 foods from 29 Chicago restaurants — that’s a lot of choices! The Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide is free at the Humana tent on Columbus Drive between Jackson and the Buckingham Fountain and gives you the chance to collect stamps for a chance to win prizes, like restaurant gift cards.
I have a bunch of cool information to share about the Humana Healthier Choices program with you all next week, but for the moment, Humana has generously offered to provide one Accidental Intentions reader with two strips of food tickets for this year’s Taste of Chicago! That’s 24 tickets and an awesome deal. Intrigued? Here’s how to enter!
1. REQUIRED: Leave a comment telling me what food you look forward to trying at Taste of Chicago this year. (Check out the Humana Healthier Choices options here!)
2. Optional: Tweet the following: “I want to win 24 #TasteofChi tickets courtesy of @Humana! http://wp.me/p1EPVx-Kj”. You must leave an additional comment to let me know you’ve tweeted.
3. Optional: Follow Humana on Facebook. Leave an additional comment to let me know you’ve done so.
4. Optional: Follow Taste of Chicago on Facebook. Leave an additional comment to let me know you’ve done so.
5. Optional: Follow Accidental Intentions on Twitter. Leave an additional comment to let me know you’ve done so (or that you already do!)
6. Optional: Follow Accidental Intentions on Bloglovin’. Leave an additional comment to let me know you’ve done so (or that you already do!).
So many options! One important note: you do need to be able to pick up your tickets at the Humana tent between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. from July 9 through July 11 if you win. If you desperately want to win and won’t be able to make this work, let me know and I’ll see if we can arrange something else, but I can’t make any promises. The giveaway will remain open through 5 p.m. CDT on Monday, July 7. I’ll announce the winner next Tuesday, July 8!
Disclosure: Humana Healthier Choices information and the Taste tickets have been provided by Humana. Humana has also generously provided me with 24 Taste of Chicago tickets of my own in exchange for hosting this giveaway.