1. Have I ever mentioned how much I love my physical therapist? Just once or twice or five bazillion times? Yeah, well, that sentiment still holds true. I paid a visit to one of my happy places, the PT’s office, on Tuesday for an injury screen, and left with a couple of hypotheses as to the root of my toe numbness:
– As I fatigue while running, my ankles pronate (I do know that I’m an uncorrected overpronater — stability shoes just do not work for me, so I run in neutral shoes), and my pronation causes my shoes to press against my ankle in a way that irritates the nerve that runs down calf, around your inner ankle, and branches off into your toes.
– While I previously laced my shoes in a way designed to lock your heel in place, I had not done that with my current pair of Asics Gel-Cumulus 15s (I had, however, done that with the 16s that initially caused my problems, and also do that with my New Balance Fresh Foams). This, in some way, could have something to do with my numbness.
My PT (…and my mother…and most of you 😛 ) thinks, based on the timeline of my symptoms, my symptoms, and my lack of symptoms while doing literally anything other than running, that my shoes must somehow be at the root of this. I definitely like that thought, though I have a hard time understanding how four different pairs of shoes would cause the same symptoms every time. For the moment, my PT told me to wear my running shoes as much as possible in an effort to break them in a little more, keep running, and follow up next week. So that’s where things stand at the moment.
2. On Sunday, I went to the embodiment of the phrase, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”: my first ever clothing swap!
I’ve wanted to go to a clothing swap ever since I learned they’re a thing. Getting rid of clothes I don’t want and replacing them with new, free clothes? Sign me up. I had feeling the vibe of this clothing swap would be a bit trendier than I am, and though I was definitely right, I still walked out with a few nice new items.
Tragically, as soon as I got home I realized the dress is stained to high heaven (the lighting at the swap, as you can probably tell from the first picture, was not ideal), so unless someone has a genius way to remove stains of unknown origin, I imagine that dress is headed for the trash. But I still got two nice shirts out of the deal, all for my favorite price: $0. Can’t complain.
3. Last week, I had an event to attend for work. Since the event took place in the evening, the organizers provided dinner in the form of appetizer-y foods, including the cutest little mini Chicago hot dog you’ve ever seen.
Isn’t that adorable? I like ketchup, so I’ll overlook the fact that the caterers committed the ultimate Chicago sin, but I thought it was just the cutest little appetizer I’ve ever seen! It’s the simple things 😛
Have you ever been to a clothing swap?
Does your area have a “classic” food that you enjoy? Personally, I could take or leave Chicago-style hot dogs. Deep dish pizza, however, has my heart, forever and always ❤