1. Hello, my name is Bethany, and I am a vocal Halloween hater.
It’s purely from a costume standpoint. I DESPISE costumes. I was discussing this some people last week and they were just baffled by my costume aversion. I don’t really have a good reason for why I don’t like them other than that they make me wildly uncomfortable, whether they’re made from clothes I own or bought specifically for the occasion. It’s not just a Halloween thing, either. Theme Day was my least favorite part about being a camp counselor. Of the 22 theme days I’ve worked, I think I dressed up for…two of them. Maybe three. And Homecoming/Spirit Week in high school? Don’t even get me started.
I generally try to actively avoid Halloween in any way possible. This was a breeze in college, because I was always involved in a major event that takes place on the first Saturday in November. I honestly don’t remember what I not-did for Halloween at all last year, though I imagine having, you know, approximately zero friends in Chicago at the time made all that pretty easy, too. This year I conveniently scheduled a video gait analysis for this afternoon so I’m, “busy, so sorry!” (Not at all sorry).
Although I will say that this year I’m very saddened that the holiday is all but past, as this means the next time I go to PT there probably will no longer be a bowl of candy sitting out (GOOD candy, too: Butterfingers, Reese’s, M&Ms, etc.), which pretty much means there’s no reason to go to PT at all anymore.
2. Once upon five months ago, I watched in awe/horror as four separate couples I knew and am Facebook friends with all got engaged in the same weekend. Then I wrote a ranty post about the culture of young marriage in West Michigan. I figured this was kind of a one-time thing, though. I mean, really, what is the statistical likelihood of four separate couples I’m Facebook friends with all getting engaged in the same weekend again?
Welp, it happened again.
I mean, if it were Valentine’s Day, or Christmas, or New Year’s Eve, or heck, even April Fools (in which case I’d imagine they were all jokes), it would make sense. But Mother’s Day weekend? The weekend before Halloween? What is it about these occasions that makes a wide variety of people all think, “Yes, this would be the best time to get engaged.”? I just don’t understand.
3. I’m never really sure what label to assign myself in terms of hair color. I’m certainly not blonde, and I’m not brunette, but I don’t really feel like my hair is red enough to call myself a redhead. But since my hair tends to fall on the redder end of the red/brunette spectrum, I feel like I count as a kindaish-redhead, which was enough for me to read the BuzzFeed article about why it’s great to be a redhead, which led me to discovering this:
OMG. There is a Redhead Day in the HOMELAND!! (aka The Netherlands. I may or may not have accidentally typed “The Nederlands” first. Oops). I’m not officially Dutch in the citizenship sense, and I’m only half Dutch in the actual genetic sense, but in the ethnic heritage sense I am 95% Nederlander, dank u wel (with the remaining 5% being Danish due to being raised on aebelskivers for Saturday breakfast. Nomz). Attending this is now on my bucket list.
4. And the winner of the KIND giveaway is…
Congrats! I’ll be e-mailing you shortly 🙂
Halloween: yay or nay?
Did everyone you know get engaged this weekend? Or is this just a phenomenon in my social circle…?