Day in the Life

Last Wednesday, Sarah introduced me to a day in the life linkup via city & the cubicle, and my weekend was way too crazy to blog about (lies. I spent nearly all of Saturday in a CPR/AED/First Aid certification class. Woohoo!), so today: an exclusive look into the wildly exciting (weekday) life of Bethany. Get pumped.

6:25 a.m. — Clock radio alarm goes off, occasionally with country music, usually with morning show banter courtesy of Lisa Dent and Ramblin’ Ray on US 99.5. I ❤ country in the morning. And afternoon. And evening. And always.

6:27 a.m. — Backup iPhone alarm goes off, T. Swift “Mary’s Song.” I used to occasionally change the song on my iPhone alarm, but I got lazy and stopped doing that. Also, I started associating too many of my songs with “Ugh, morning,” and I didn’t want to ruin all of my music that way. And again, country in the morning.

6:28 a.m. — Make bed, get dressed, go to bathroom to put in contacts/wash face. Except on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, where bathroom takes priority over bed and clothes. My roommate gets up at the same time I do on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and is a morning shower-er, so I have to be speedy and get out of there so she can use the bathroom.

6:40ish a.m. — Make breakfast. Oatmeal MWF, egg + toast Tuesday/Thursday. Sometimes I’m feelin’ crazy and sub waffles for oatmeal.


Appetizing, eh? 1/2 c. oats, 2 tsp. brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, spoonful peanut butter, 1/3 c. almond milk. Every. Single. Monday. Wednesday. Friday. I have no creativity.

6:45ish a.m. — Goal time for turning on NBC 5, so as to catch the weather. Sometimes I miss this and just catch the traffic report, which is so sad. Eat breakfast whilst Stefan Holt and Daniella Guzman educate me on current events. Occasionally I catch the first couple minutes of the Today show as well, but only when I’m running late.

7:05ish a.m. — Brush my teeth. While brushing my teeth, I finally take my phone off airplane mode/prep my work bag/do any other busywork tasks that only require one hand. Narrowly avoid toothpaste-on-shirt disaster at least once a week. Makeup goes on after teeth brushing.

7:20ish a.m. — Put on jewelry, shoes, coat if necessary, check my phone to see if I got any texts overnight (about 99 times out of 100, I didn’t. No one ever texts me. Or calls me. I don’t know why I even have a cell phone.), put my lunch in my lunch bag, my lunch bag in my work bag, triple check to make sure I have my necessities (phone, keys, CTA pass, water bottle, lunch), and leave my apartment. Occasionally I get lucky and catch the elevator at the same time as a couple other people from my floor, but usually I just miss them and have to wait five billion years for the elevator to come back.

7:40ish a.m. — Begin the CTA portion of my daily commute. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I utter my first words of the day when I get to the CTA and my RedEye Hander Outer gives me my RedEye, after which I sincerely say, “Good morning! Thank you!” because I really appreciate him and his RedEye Handing Outing. On Mondays and Tuesdays I get the RedEye from a box, which is just not the same and/or personable. Also sometimes the RedEyes are there but my RedEye Hander Outer mysteriously is not, and that makes me sad.

7:41ish a.m. — Read the RedEye cover to cover whilst commuting.



I really, really love the RedEye you guys. Like a lot.

8:25 a.m. or 8:35 a.m., depending on the day/my luck — arrive at the office. Check Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, all trillion of my e-mails (minus my work e-mail), and start blog reading.

9:00 a.m. — open my work e-mail and hope there’s nothing I need to deal with so I can continue blog reading 😉 Deal with whatever needs to be dealt with.


It’s shaping up to be a REALLY busy week around here, as you can tell. Incidentally, the Cubs also have three night games this week #themoreyouknow

12:30 p.m. — lunch, unless I get extremely hungry before then or I’m in the middle of something. I always bring my lunch to work, and I always finish reading the RedEye if I didn’t finish it on my commute. If I did finish the RedEye, I’ll read whatever book I happen to have with me (currently: The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition by Matt Fitzgerald. Very interesting and probably useful, but seems to be geared more towards serious runners, since he talks about things like “speed work” and “hard runs” and “racing.” Ha. Those things do not exist to me when it comes to marathon training.)



If you’ve ever wondered why I don’t do WIAW, it’s because I essentially just did. My diet is about as exciting and varied as a white wall. You want to know what I eat on Wednesdays? Or any other day of the week? You just saw it.

12:55ish p.m. — return to my desk, check Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. Eventually realize I should probably, you know, do work.

3:30 p.m. (Fridays), 4:00 p.m. (if I have evening commitments), 4:15 p.m. — power down my computer and get outta here. Walk to the CTA, read while waiting for the CTA, continue reading until I get off the CTA, walk home. I do a lot of reading. And walking.

4:50 to 5:15 p.m., depending on the day — arrive home, occasionally bearing groceries (Fridays). Putz around for longer than I intend to before changing into workout clothes and either running, Jillian Michaels-ing, or sometimes strength training.

6:45ish p.m. — finally finish the entire workout process (actual workout + dance practice + stretching + foam rolling + working up energy to shower) and get in the shower. This does not apply on Fridays (rest days).

7:00 p.m. — target time for dinner, especially on Thursdays so I can watch The Big Bang Theory and Wednesdays now that So You Think You Can Dance is back (!!!!! I’m busy on Tuesdays which means I have to miss all of the Tuesday episodes this season. A tragedy if ever there were one, let me tell you.). Nine times out of ten I miss this target time. I almost always have leftovers for dinner because it makes my life easy and because what kind of crazy wants to START cooking dinner at 7:00? Not me, that’s for sure. I cook on Fridays and Saturdays and use those leftovers during the week.



Chicken enchilada lasagna from a couple of weeks ago (I freeze my leftovers so they never go bad). It is OMGSOGOOD. Legitimately one of my favorite meals I’ve ever made.

7:20ish p.m. — finish dinner, argue with myself over whether I’d rather make my lunch now or later and almost always settle on now. Make the next day’s lunch.

7:35ish p.m. — fool myself into thinking I’m turning the computer on “just to take care of a couple of blog things, or maybe check Facebook once or twice, and maybe get on my e-mail and see if anyone gchats me. But then I’ll read or take care of random life tasks I’ve let pile up or maybe even clean?” This always turns into me spending the rest of my night on the computer. I suck.

9:00 on a good night, 9:45 on a usual night, 10:00 on a really bad night — realize I should either start getting ready for bed soon or I should have started to get ready for bed A LONG time ago. Weep in despair upon seeing how my bed has, as always, turned into a landing pad, and I managed to dump all of my life’s belongings on it between 5:15 and 9:45. Start by cleaning up my bed, check the forecast for the next day, lay out weather-appropriate clothes. My pajamas have been on since I got out of the shower because why on earth would I put regular clothes back on when I’m not going anywhere?

10:00 or 10:15ish p.m. — finish the bathroom portion of the getting ready for bed process (contacts out, face washed, teeth brushed). Set my alarms, turn my phone onto airplane mode. After that I almost always do devotions and write in my diary. Devotions unfortunately get skipped on nights where I’m REALLY late, and the later the night, the less likely I am to write a full diary entry. Instead, I’ll write down brief notes and finish the entry the next day. I’ve kept a daily diary since the beginning of September 2001, so it’s important to me that I get that in eventually, but preferably that day.

10:25 p.m. — goal time for lights out. I miss this SIGNIFICANTLY more often than I should, and always wake up the next morning telling myself, “TONIGHT I will go to bed on time! It WILL happen!” I’m almost always wrong. Haha.

Do all of your days look the same?
How do you spend your weeknight free time?

13 thoughts on “Day in the Life

  1. Wooooo day in the life! I think our days are pretty similar (even with wake up and bedtime but mine is shifted about an hour later). I have to spend 2 days next week in my CPR/AED/First Aid/Lifeguard class and I think I might die. I hate those things! Also, did you know we eat the EXACT same lunch? I guess we’re just the same person or something….

    • Hahaha lunch twinzies! Love it!

      This round of CPR/AED/First Aid actually wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. We had really good instructors that kept the class way more interesting than usual. This was the third time I took CPR/AED, and it was really nice to see that I remembered just about everything. First Aid, I feel, is 99% common sense, but I guess it’s good to review those things, too. This class was American Heart Association instead of American Red Cross, and it was kind of a joke. We didn’t even have to take that waste-of-time if-you’ve-lived-this-long-you-could-pass-this-test-without-even-taking-the-class written test and still got our certifications. Boom.

      • I’ve done the heart one before. It was absolutely a joke. I’m pretty sure my boss made me retake it with the red cross because he didn’t think it was legitimate haha

  2. Generally my weeknights are all pretty similar (get home from work, make dinner, watch tv/run errands, read, bed) but with not running, I’ve been throwing a few post-work gym days into the week obviously vary my days. It’s been nice to have some variety but I still prefer morning workouts.

    I LOVE the red eye too but there isn’t a box near my bus stop. There is one about a block and a half away that I’ve thought about walking to but it’s in the wrong direction and I’m nervous I might miss my bus. I’ve also debated picking one up for my commute home but I think it’d be kind of weird and less interesting to read it after work.

    • I’m doing a morning workout on Friday and I’m kind of nervous about it! Haha. I never workout in the morning, mostly because I’m worried I won’t be able to get through everything in time, but I’ve got to get it in Friday morning, so I guess we’ll see what happens!

      Totally agree that it’s weird to read the RedEye after work. If I don’t finish reading it at lunch, I just don’t finish it at all that day. No one reads the RedEye in the afternoon! (At least not that I’ve ever seen).

  3. Sounds like you are a creature of routine! I’m always impressed with people who can shower at night. My hair does NOT play nicely if I do that.

    Also, I wish I could read the Red Eye (did you know Jason and I were part of a cover story back in 2008?) but since I get motion sick if I read on the train I never grab one. I suppose I could read it at my desk but that’s slightly more obvious that I’m not working than reading blogs.

  4. I first though, oh man, a status every 5 minutes! Imma need me some coffee here!

    I’ve had the bad habit of picking up red eyes and never reading them. I used to read them on the ride to work, but now that is when I do most of my blogging.

    Do all of your days look the same? My fays feel like a blur, since I became a dad, I hardly know what I even did an hour ago
    How do you spend your weeknight free time? umm lol cleaning?

  5. Gosh, I take about five minutes total to shower, get dressed and head off to work. My commute is probably the longest part of my day right now. It seems like you have a good schedule going for you though!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s