Last night, I announced on Twitter that I had the best barbecue sauce I had ever tasted. Here are the promised details :)
I originally planned to make Jessica’s Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon because 1) I love blueberries 2) I love salmon and 3) I love grilled food. Seemed like a pretty good combination. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized I wanted chicken rather than salmon. Solution! Barbecued chicken salad.
Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
very slightly modified from How Sweet It Is.
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
– 1/3 cup ketchup
– 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tbsp. brown sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
– 1/4 teaspoon English mustard
1. Heat a small saucepan over low heat.
2. Add blueberries. Cover and allow to heat until bubbling (about 10 minutes). Shake pan to mix blueberries as necessary.
3. While blueberries heat, combine dry ingredients in small bowl
4. After blueberries have begun to bubble, crush with fork.
5. Add ketchup, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, and dry ingredients to saucepan. Whick to combine and heat to medium. Once the mixture bubbles (this will happen fast), reduce to low heat. Cook 20 minutes, whisking every few.
As I mentioned, I used this bad boy to make a chicken salad. Behold.
Barbecued Blueberry Chicken Salad
- 2 cups romaine
– 1/4 cup celery, chopped
– 1/4 cup walnuts
– 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
– Handful blue cheese
– 1 chicken breast
– blueberry barbecue sauce (see above)
1. Grill chicken according to directions.
2. When chicken is nearly done, reduce heat to medium.
3. Brush barbecue sauce on one side of chicken and allow to cook for five minutes.
4. Flip chicken and brush barbecue sauce on other side. Allow to cook for five more minutes.
5. Arrange lettuce, celery, and walnuts on plate
6. Add grilled chicken, cut in strips.
7. Top with blueberries and cheese
I also tossed some red pepper on this salad because it needed to be used up, but I would probably leave that out next time. I don’t like salad dressing, so I don’t know what would taste good on this. Feel free to experiment and let me know!